We are very pleased to share all but a few highlights of the new 911 (992) Carrera S and 4S that made their global introduction in LA recently and in doing so completely stole the show.
Redesigning an icon with the legacy of 911 happens very rarely, and the influx of press coverage and social media activity will be significant.
The vehicle has undergone some major changes, with the most dramatic being design:
- Every single panel on the exterior of the 992 has been redesigned, save for the roof, which can be optioned in carbon fibre to make the exterior 100% new
- The footprint of the 911 grows modestly in length (+20 mm) while the wheelbase remains the same
- More significantly, the wide body from the 4/4S/GTS models has been made standard across the range
- The interior redesign is the most substantial change in the storied history of 911, reimagined in nearly every facet
- A host of new exterior and interior colours, with Green being theme inside and out
Improvements have also been made in terms of performance:
- Engine enhancements lead to an additional 23 hp (+30 metric hp/PS) and 22 lb-ft torque for ‘S’ models; total = 443 hp and 390 lb-ft torque
- The change is not simply adoption of the GTS configuration but more significant engine modifications
- 0-100 km/h with Sport Chrono improves to an unbelievable 3.4 sec. That matches the 997 Turbo with 500 hp and is just 0.4 sec off the 918 Spyder!
- The 992 receives the 8-speed PDK II featuring even faster shift times than previous with comparable gear ratios
- The PASM system has been completely restructured to offer even more lateral performance while improving on road comfort
- Standard wheel/tire set-up has been adopted from the GT3 RS, featuring 20” wheels front, 21” rear
- Steering has been further refined, now 11% more direct than 991.II
Lastly, we have made some significant gains in our safety and technology offer:
- Standard Warn & Brake Assist: pedestrian, cyclist and vehicle warning and intervention system up to full emergency braking
- PCM 5.1 featuring the 10.9” HD screen from the new Macan
- Matrix Beam headlights including full functionality for the Canadian market, (Panamera and Cayenne models will also receive the Matrix system from MY20 onwards)
- A host of assistance systems that were previously not offered: NightVision Assist, SurroundView Camera, WET driving mode for early detection of unsafe road conditions
Our in-store Car Configurator and ordering system is now live for your reference and convenience.
Photo: Porsche presented the 8th generation of the 911 in Petree Hall at the Los Angeles Auto Show.
Date Posted: December 10, 2018